FPRA’s 73rd Annual Conference will take place Aug. 7-10 at the Naples Grande Resort in Naples, Fla. Here’s some interesting facts about our host city:
- Naples is officially the county seat of Collier County.
- Collier County was named for Barron Collier, a New York City advertising mogul who had moved into Southwest Florida and established himself as a prominent land owner. He agreed to build the Tamiami Trail for what was then Lee County in exchange for favorable consideration with the state legislature to have a county named for him.
- In 2005, Naples was voted the best beach in America by the Travel Channel.
- With over 800 alumni living in Naples, the Ohio State University once established the nation’s biggest alumni club in the early 2000s (outside of Columbus, Ohio). This is most likely due in large part to the overwhelming amount of Midwesterners who have relocated to Naples.
- Among those who own homes in Naples: former astronaut Buzz Aldrin; former NBA player Larry Bird; Microsoft founder Bill Gates; former Majority Leader of the US House of Representatives Dick Gephardt; Papa John’s founder, chairman, and current CO-CEO John Schnatter, Florida Governor Rick Scott, and real estate developer Donald Trump.
Click here to learn more about Naples.