Blogger: Brittany Jackson (Tampa Bay Chapter)
Conference 101: Top 7 Takeaways to Make the Most of FPRA’s Annual Conference
Meeting hundreds of your professional peers over four days of info-packed sessions and fun-filled mixers can be a little daunting, especially for an Annual Conference newbie.
“Conference 101,” a networking event geared toward first-timers, provides a casual atmosphere for attendees to connect and shake off those pre-conference jitters. Participants also received a handout of insider tips for getting the most out of FPRA’s 2016 Annual Conference.
Here are the takeaways:
1. Take advantage of the conference app. With the app, you can easily plan your conference with a customizable agenda and get a glimpse of conference attendees and each of the session topics.
2. Choose your sessions wisely. With so many options, choosing the perfect session may be a little difficult. Try to attend sessions that will enhance your skills or that directly impact a project you’re currently working on.
3. Get connected. That’s what it’s all about! Engage with other conference attendees, make connections and don’t forget to ask for a business card for follow-up.
4. Get connected (part 2). Take a step out of your comfort zone and meet new people you don’t already know. Be sure to perfect your 30-second elevator speech!
5. Take notes. Studies have shown that we remember more from a lecture or speech when we take notes by hand. So, be sure to jot down the many nuggets of wisdom you hear throughout the conference.
6. Get social. Follow the conference happenings online to get the scoop from every angle. Check out the FPRA blog (FPRAblog.org) and tag your posts with #FPRA2016AC, #ThinkFPRA and #FPRAIsForLeaders.
7. Follow-up. The end of Annual Conference is really just the beginning. Be sure to follow up with other attendees you’ve met along with the speakers. It’s key to nurturing the many new relationships you’ve just started to build.