By Brandi Welk (Pensacola Chapter)
8 Tips for Instagram Success
- Get creative with your content – Nobody wants to see the same content every day. Have fun!
- Humanize your brand – People love to learn about people! Go behind-the-scenes and share successes of your team or client stories.
- Post frequently – But don’t get crazy! Posting three times a week is enough unless it’s event oriented.
- Reward the behaviors you want to repeat – If someone posts about your product or comments on a post, engage with them by commenting back or regramming.
- Be smarter about hashtags – Create and use hashtags that are unique to your brand and relevant to your audience.
- Increase engagement – Once again, engage in online conversation with your followers.
- Create an Instagram style guide
- Be professional
According to a study conducted by Simply Measured, brands received 12% higher engagement on photos with hashtags and 76% higher engagement on photos that are geotagged.
8 Examples of Insta-creativity
- Themed content campaign – Create a theme that is eye-appealing and be consistent throughout the campaign.
- User-generated content campaign – Have followers use a specific hashtag on their photos and regram them. This helps generate content and engagement!
- Influencer takeover – Partner with industry-related influencers to have them do an Instagram takeover. Celebs oftentimes do this for brands they love! (Example: Jessica Alba with Honest Company)
- Insta-mob – Have influencers use hashtags with photo on certain day/time.
- Filter-driven storylines – Microsoft is an excellent example of this!
- Cross platform – Share via Facebook and Twitter to increase exposure.
- Insta-zine – Created a magazine on Instagram! Example here.
Other helpful links…
20 BEST Instagram Tools – bit.ly/GEBPRtools
Simon Sinek – Start with Why (Awesome video!)
Instagram Metrics – Simply Measured
Heather Whaling (@prTini) is founder/CEO of Geben Communication, a PR firm that helps emerging brands and forward-thinking, established companies excel in a social world. Heather’s ability to turn traditional and digital PR strategies into meaningful business outcomes has helped Geben evolve into a highly respected, sought-after, award-winning PR firm, most recently named Ragan/PR Daily’s 2014 Media Relations Agency of 2014. Known for taking a fresh approach to traditional and digital PR best practices, Heather has been quoted in Inc.com, Entrepreneur and BusinessWeek about technology’s impact on communication and business, plus helped clients secure coverage in a range of high-profile media outlets, from the New York Times and Wall Street Journal to Huffington Post and TechCrunch. She is considered one of the most influential voices in PR 2.0, and her blog, prTini.com, is often cited as an industry must-read. Whaling was selected as one of Columbus Business First’s “Forty Under 40” and named one of Columbus’s top 10 entrepreneurs by TheMetropreneur.com. She also serves on the Board of Directors for The Women’s Fund of Central Ohio.