APR Maintenance Program Now Known as Accreditation Renewal; Switch to CEUs Also Made
As shared in the February 2020 Tips and Tools and through direct messages to current APRs, and after many years of benchmark comparisons with other professional education measurement systems, the Universal Accreditation Board (UAB) moved to rename the program “Accreditation Renewal” effective Jan. 1, 2019, and to adopt a more consistent Continuing Education Unit (CEU) tracking method, effective Jan. 1, 2020.
- A Switch to CEUs – As Accredited professionals must renew their credential and chronicle their commitment to the sound and ethical practice of public relations every three years, the UAB has established the Continuing Education Unit (CEU) as the unit of Accreditation Renewal.
- A CEU equals 10 hours of participation in approved training or other professional development activities. The CEUs will apply to APRs who start their renewal cycle Jan. 1, 2020, or later.
- A minimum of 15 CEUs is required for renewal over the three-year period; at least seven CEUs must be in continuing education and professional development along with one CEU in ethics.
- The ethics CEU is a new requirement in line with the professional code of conduct APRs espouse.
- All other APRs will continue tracking with the previous points system until their next renewal period.
- Timeline for Changes –
- APRs who need to renew June 30, 2020; Dec. 31, 2020; June 30, 2021; or Dec. 31, 2021, will use the Accreditation Renewal Application that is currently based on points.
- APRs who need to renew in 2022 or later, will use the Accreditation Renewal application based on CEUs.
- Questions? (We’ve had a few!) – Check our FAQs at: (www.praccreditation.org/resources/documents/apr-renewal-faq-rev060920.pdf) for topics including:
What is changing and when are the changes taking place?; Why the change from points to CEUs and how CEUs work?; Why was an ethics requirement added?; and other questions.